Andrew is a barrister sole. His main areas of practice are Treaty of Waitangi claims and issues, Māori land law, Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act issues and public law.
Prior to joining the bar Andrew was a Crown Counsel in the Crown Law Office’s Treaty Issues team. Since joining Crown Law in 1997 he has:
- represented the Crown in numerous Waitangi Tribunal proceedings, concerning both historical and urgent contemporary claims;
- acted for and advised government on various foreshore and seabed issues, including the review of the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004 and the development of the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011;
- advised government on a range of public law issues;
- acted for the Crown in various Māori Land Court proceedings;
- been appointed as amicus curiae in a High Court proceeding concerning the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993.
During 2005 and 2006 Andrew was part of Duncan Cotterill’s Nelson office, focusing on resource management, local authority and marine farming issues.
He has a good grasp of te reo Māori.
Contact Andrew Irwin
Level 2 Solnet House
70 The Terrace
Phone: +64 4 473 7378
Mobile: +64 274 722 961