Greg is recognised as one of New Zealand’s leading intellectual property litigators. He is a barrister and registered patent attorney (New Zealand and Australia).
Greg has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation including conducting settlement conferences and mediations to resolve clients’ disputes.
Greg commenced practice as a barrister sole in 2014. He was formerly head of litigation and managing partner at AJ Park.
Clients and cases
Greg has been involved in patent, trade mark, copyright, registered design, trade practices and trade secrets cases in all courts for numerous New Zealand and international companies and individuals. Those cases include:
- Acting for companies in enforcing patents or defending patent actions in all areas of technology.
- Acting for member companies of the pharmaceutical industry and the pharmaceutical industry body in leading cases determining the patent protection available for pharmaceuticals in New Zealand.
- Acting for pharmaceutical companies including Sanofi, AstraZeneca and SmithKline Beecham in enforcing pharmaceutical patents.
- Acting for multinational companies including The Coca-Cola Company and Anheuser-Busch in enforcing their trade marks or defending trade mark actions.
- Acting on numerous copyright actions, including actions on artistic works, industrial designs, and musical works.
- Acting for the employer in a long-running misuse of confidential information case.
- Acting on numerous appeals, including for Sealed Air, Crocodile International, North Face Apparel and The Scotch Whisky Association, from decisions of the Commissioner of Patents and the Commissioner of Trade Marks.
- Acting on the first New Zealand summary judgment cases for patent infringement and copyright infringement.
- Acting on judicial review proceedings relating to the conduct of the Commissioner of Patents and the Commissioner of Trade Marks.
Greg has presented on a diverse range of intellectual property topics at numerous intellectual property seminars or conferences including for the New Zealand Law Society, the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand and the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys.
Greg is the convenor of the Intellectual Property Law Committee of the New Zealand Law Society.
Greg is named as a leading IP litigation lawyer in several publications including Best Lawyers in New Zealand, The International Who’s Who Legal Patents, The International Who’s Who Legal Life Sciences, the WTR World’s Leading Trade Mark Professionals and Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide.
- New Zealand Law Society
- New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- New Zealand Bar Association
Contact Greg Arthur
Level 2 Solnet House
70 The Terrace
PO Box 5161
Phone: +64 4 499 9369
Mobile: +64 21 535 562
BSc, LLB, LLM (London)
Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)